Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Field Trip with Monte







At a recent field trip, I was asked to work the role of "nurse" and accompany Monte on his field trip. We had such a nice, fun day. I enjoyed spending the entire day with him. It was touring a local college, enjoying the kitchens, barns, museum, original school building, and greenhouses. It rained the entire time, and it was quite a bit of walking outdoors, but Monte and the other kids were good sports. I did get one irritating comment from another parent:"Where does he go to school? You mean he goes to a regular school? With my kid? Oh. I mean, that's nice." I wanted to ask her where it was that she thought he belonged! We find that attitute still prevailing a lot in the older generations. Thankfully, all the kids who do attend school with Monte are learning about differences, acceptance, and friendship, so these attitudes are being phased out. And it was only one parent, the others were fantastic and knew that Monte was their kid's friend already.



1 comment:

Higley's said...

Um, why would Monte be on the field trip if he wasn't in the class? Some people have no common sense!! Looks like he had fun! P.S. The pictures I took of Monte are sooo cute!! I know your going to love them, I'll try to send them in the next day or two. Love ya!