Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hope Chest Treasures

Yes, it's been FOREVER since I've posted. I thought I'd try blogging again! This year I've set some fun new goals for myself, and I'm excited to see them through. Don't be skeptical, as we renewed the goals our family set last year, 50% were met completely, 25% were met 50%, and the last 25% about 25%. Not bad! I enjoy improving myself and seeing the positive changes.
Back to the point! I spent some time going through my hope chest and discarding some things that I had held on to for too long, adding a few new things, and enjoying the experience. Here's some treasures I found:
Since I can't seem to position the pictures where I want them, here's a summary in no particular order.
Monte spent a big part of his first few years in the hospital, but had amazing nursery and primary leaders and teachers in the BYU 172 Ward. In fact, they truly went far and beyond anything I could've imagined in their quest to help Monte feel their love, and the love of His Savior. Here's a card that they made with the kids to celebrate Monte's favorite song and let him know how much they missed him. So absolutely adorable.
When Monte was 18 months old he spent 3 months in the hosptial having 17 shunt revisions. (Brain surgeries with a million complications and...well, everything you could imagine). At the time I was in my absolutely last semester of a tumultuous college experience. I had everything arranged so I could finish and graduate in August, but only if I kept up a full load of summer classes. If I didn't finish them, I would be pushed out a few more semesters in able to get all the right classes and times...
So, in one of the hardest and heartwrenching summers of my life, I balanced the complications of having a child in the hospital, a husband working full time, driving back and forth from SLC and Provo, and keeping up with the homework and studying. Luckily I was in the right major: one of my classes was called "FAMILIES IN CRISIS." I've always loved irony. I was blessed with kind classmates who covered for me often when I couldn't be in class, and kept pushing forward, day by day. It was with a heart full of indescribable emotion when I finally finished. (And with good grades too!)
The day of graduation both of my families came down to support me. Heartbreakingly, Monte was still in the hospital. My beloved Aunt Allyson sat with him so that I wouldn't miss the ceremonies. I was trembling with emotion as I walked up the final hill into the Mariott Center and into the tunnel. I couldn't believe that I had finally done it. The entire time I was in college I had felt and enormous pressure and drive to get my Bachelor's degree. I couldn't rest until it was finished. As I came out of the tunnel surrounded by amazing friends that had helped me through the last seemingly impossible semester, big posters held by all of my family caught my eye. It took a minute for me, then my friends to process what we were seeing, then the entire Family Science graduates burst into tears. THANKS MOM. Here's what see were seeing: Big posters of pictures of Monte in his hospital scrubs, shaved holes in his hair, wrapped limbs with IV's, ect...smiling and "saying" how proud he was of me. Sob. I know that having my degree has blessed me as a mother and wife absolutely everyday. I'm so grateful to have had that experience, and the examples of my Mom and Grandma to support and push me. (My wonderful grandma sent a very welcome check and a box of See's Chocolates to celebrate. WOW!) My mom booked a room at the hospital for a surprise party, she knew that I wouldn't want to be away even a minute longer. Monte was in a wagon stuffed with pillows, the walls were covered with posters celebrating the occasion, and cake was enjoyed by all, including our favorite Dr.'s and Nurses. What a crazy day.


Lastly is a cute letter from my sister Allison, written not long after I was engaged. I laughed through the entire thing, even at 10 she was pretty clever.
Enjoy!
l

1 comment:

MK McClintock said...

It's so fun to see how your family has grown after all these years! Angela Bingham sent me a photo from high school (pre-sophmore year) with you in it - brought back fun memories. Glad to see everyone is doing well.