Monday, November 3, 2008

White Bread/Rolls/Cinnamon Rolls/Orange Rolls, Scones,and more

For anyone who has ever sent me a recipe chain letter, here are a few of my favorites. Yeah, I don't do those, sorry! I also promise to break all book, letter, and email chains. Sorry, but I'm providing these recipes to make you feel better.
Also, my great friend Amber has really yummy recipies are at http://www.wackyfam.com/
I recommend especially the broccoli soup, it's so easy and yummy, but they're all great.
Also at TasteofHome.com, you can type in a single ingredient and get a list of ideas to cook with it.


This is my favorite white bread, rolls and scones recipe. Basically we use it for everything! 1 batch makes 2 dozen rolls, I usually double it if I'm having company. I've changed a lot of things as I use it, this version now seems to be the best, at least where I live! I looked up pictures of all the different kinds of rolls online, it was fun to see the different versions! Cloverleaf anyone?

1 package active dry yeast (or 2 teaspoons)
1/4 cup warm water

1 cup milk, scalded (I use 1 cup water and 1/3 cup powdered milk from my food storage)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 egg

Soften yeast in warm water. Combine milk, sugar, shortening, and salt; cool to lukewarm. (I usually put the water, powdered milk, sugar and shortening in a saucepan and cook on the store to just before boiling, then cool in the fridge for about 20 minutes). Add 1 1/2 cups of flour; beat well. Beat in yeast and egg. Gradually add remaining flour to form soft dough, beating well. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in warm place till double (1 1/2 to 2 hours). Turn out on lightly floured surface and shape as desired. (Corkscrew, parker house, jiffy cloverlear, regular cloverleaf, cinnamon rolls, or bread loaves).
If making scones cut into squares or rectangles and fry on both sides in oil heated to 375 degrees.
If making rolls-Cover and let shaped rolls rise till double (30-45 minutes). Bake on greased baking sheet or in greased muffin pans in hot oven (400 degrees) for 12-15 minutes.

Raisin-Cinnamon Rolls
Divide roll recipe in half, roll each section into 16x8 inch rectangle. Combine 3/4 cup brown sugar, 6 tbsp. butter and 3 teaspoons cinnamon. Spread over dough. Sprinkle 3/4 cup raisins if desired. Roll lengthwise as for jelly roll. Seal edge; cut in 1-inch slices. (I use thread or dental floss to cut it). Place cut side down in greased pan, I use a cookie sheet. Cover; let rise till double (30-40 minutes). Bake in oven at 350 for 18 minutes. You may remove them from the pan when cooked, I leave them and slather on the frosting while still hot. Makes about 32 rolls.

Orange Rolls
Follow above Raisin-Cinnamon roll recipe, substitute 4 teaspoons grated orange peel for cinnamon and omin raisins. Add a bit of orange flavoring if desired.

Frosting Version #1
Add light cream to 2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar for spreading consistency. Add a dash of salt and 1 tsp. vanilla.

Frosting Verison #2 (my favorite, and my personal recipe)
3 tbsp butter
2 2/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/8 cup Milk or light cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2-6 tbsp. cream cheese

Cream butter and cream cheese together, gradually add about half the sugar, blending well. Beat in 2 tbsp cream/milk and vanilla. Gradually blend in remaining sugar. Add enough cream/milk to make of spreading consistency.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the recipes! I'm excited to try them. Have you ever used SAF Instant yeast instead of active dry yeast? That's what we currently have- it's way cheaper than active dry and you don't have to proof the yeast in water- just mix it in with the dry ingredients. We haven't used it for much yet, so we don't know if it's better.

Cristi Lou said...

I love finding new recipes. I'm excited to try them. Your Halloween pictures of your kids are so cute. That's fun that you dressed them up in several different costumes for the different parties that you went to!

claire said...

I haven't used it before, let me know what you think!
I think it's kind-of fun using the active yeast, it's a little game Piper like to play as we sprinkle it over the warm water...