Thursday, March 18, 2010

Inspiring Quotes for the Month:

I have really enjoyed reading the Church News, The BYUI Scroll, and MormonTimes lately. While maybe not the most political or scholarly publications, I feel a bit more uplifted and educated when I take the time to read them. Here's a few things that really touched me:

The Scroll February 23, 2010 Video Game Features Disabled Student's Image.
I'm trying to find a digital copy of this, but it was SO cool! I hate to summarize it, you just have to read it.

LDS Bobsledder Chris Fogt: "I try to carry myself a little differently. I don't want to make (the church), the Army, myself or my family look bad-ever."
Wow, if we all lived that way, imagine the difference in the world!
For those that watched the bobsledding, I guess there were a lot of accidents. His dad said before the race: "Most parents are praying for medals, We're praying for the safely of the athletes...We have a little anxiety because of this track...but I'm sure the good Lord will bless these young men." They did crash, and didn't get to finish the competition, but he said, choking back emotion after taking the brunt of the crash for the team to protect them, "I'm still safe."

John Powell, a brain tumor survivor and Vietnam Veteran is an athlete as well, and had this to say, "I ask my Heavenly Father to come with me and have as much fun as I do in competition. This has helped me to excel in any competition I am in. It is not about the medal for me. If I win one, that is great because it will not matter what color. It is all about carrying myself in competition to be honorable as a church member and to let my Heavenly Father have as much fun as I do. It was during the priesthood session of general conference in 1988 when President Thomas S. Monson ...said that every member should have the chance to play in sports. I have held onto this for all these years because no matter what my ability is I can compete in any sport."

And finally, totally off subject, but cracked me up for days, "In the famous words of John Wayne, "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."" Let us all remember that.

No comments: